On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Fenglou Mao <feng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That will be a pain since so many tools can use multiple cores, and if I
> edit tool XML file, what will happen is I update Galaxy? Will those edited
> XML be replaced by the files in Galaxy-dist?

If you modify a tool bundled with Galaxy, then when you do an hg update
in simple cases it would all be handled automatically. However, if there
was a change in the same part of the code, you would have to do a
manual merge (the simplest route is just take the 'official' changes
from the Galaxy team, and in the short term discard your local change).
i.e. Not a good idea for long term maintenance.

The other thread I was referring to was discussing how to move the
thread settings into the Galaxy configuration files instead.