Hi Jim

In addition to the FTP/URL methods I recommend to use "Data Libraries".
See: http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Libraries

also look at the configurations in universe_wsgi.ini:

library_import_dir
user_library_import_dir
allow_library_path_paste

which gives you many option to access data out side of the Galaxy
database/ folder - without duplicating the data.

Regards, Hans-Rudolf