Which web form did you use to start the cloud instance?  The page at
usegalaxy.org/cloudlaunch will always point to the currently supported AMI, and
I'd definitely recommend using this form for launching galaxy instances.

The problem you're running into is that the unsupported AMI already initialized
your database as postgres9, which isn't backwards compatible with the postgres8
installed on the official AMI.  At this point, if you want to continue with
this specific cluster you'll need to keep using that original AMI (or attempt
to manually migrate the database between instances, which I wouldn't recommend).

If you don't have any data you care to preserve on this cluster, just delete it
and start over using usegalaxy.org/cloudlaunch and you should be good to go. If
you want to try again fresh without deleting anything, just use a new cluster
name when you launch the instance.

-Dannon