After making changes to the tool xml, you can refresh any tool using the
admin menu
Reload a tool's configuration
option.
This only works for tools loaded at startup and AFAIK there is currently no
way to load a brand new tool after Galaxy has started other than via the
toolshed installation option or a server restart.
If you edit a wrapper (eg perl or python) script that is called by a tool
xml, it loads afresh for every subsequent job - no need to do anything to
the server.