Hi Alex,

I see what you are saying, but I think our situations are slightly different.
The line
                self.__user_system_pwent =
pwd.getpwnam(job.user.email.split('@')[0] )
*does* return the correct username, however, that user is not present in the
Virtual machine that is running Galaxy, so when the job runner calls for
pwd.getpwuid(), there is nothing there.  By the way, the VM uses key
authentication only, not passwords.

The problem I think I'm having is that the /etc/passwd file I want to use is
located on the cluster, not on the virtual machine.  I'm not sure if I can just
copy that file over.  How else can I get ahold of the uid of the user who
cannot log in to the machine Galaxy is running on?

Thanks for the help,

Carrie Ganote

Hi Carrie,

I run a crontab job every 5 minutes that repopulates the galaxy database
with the real user names we use instead of the email style user names by
updating the galaxy_user.username column.

Then, I patch jobs/__init__.py as follows:

#                self.__user_system_pwent = pwd.getpwnam(
job.user.email.split('@')[0] )
                self.__user_system_pwent = pwd.getpwnam( job.user.username )

Regards,

Alex