On Jan 7, 2013, at 8:44 PM, Kyle Ellrott wrote:

> Editing the DB and manually fixing all the errors in the UI doesn't seem like
> a long term solution.
> Is there a way to do this through the API? If not, where should I start
> working to add it in?

Hi Kyle,

I'm not sure that we would want to allow unprivileged users to modify the
dataset state, although this may be a useful feature for administrators.
However, in this specific instance, there is probably a better solution.  If
the set_metadata script were to redirect all output to stdout, this would not
have resulted in a failure.  As long as the metadata output files indicate
failure in this case, the dataset would show up as "ok but metadata failed" and
allow the user to rerun set_meta with the auto-detect button.

Had the process been interrupted in the earlier stage (in the upload.py tool
itself), it's probably not something that could have been recovered from unless
you manually look and see whether the dataset had been moved from its import
location to its final destination in file_path, for each dataset.

--nate