This is the most recent thread on uploading files via the API; this approach
uses a URL for uploading a dataset to the history:

http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/Uploading-to-history-via-JavaScript-td4657068.html

In general, using the Galaxy Web search and/or mailing list search to see if
your question has been discussed before is recommended because the mailing
lists can act as a good documentation source.

Finally, please direct all coding questions to the galaxy-dev list, not the
galaxy-user list.

Best,
J.