I had a close look at the code in

galaxy-dist / lib / galaxy / jobs / handler.py
galaxy-dist / lib / galaxy / jobs / runners / drmaa.py

and found that stopping "deleted" and "deleted_new" seems to be normal
routine for the job handler. Could not find any exception that caused the
shutdown.

I do notice in the galaxy-dist on bitbucket, there is one commit with
comment "Fix shutdown on python >= 2.6.2 by calling setDaemon when creating
threads (these are still...", it seems to be relevant?

I will do the update to 11 Jan release and see if it fixes the issue.