> It seems strange not to be able to share workflows with groups if you can
> share them with individual users..

The group/role system for data libraries and the sharing system for
other assets were developed concurrently. It would be reasonable (and
probably not that difficult) to add groups to the sharing system. Feel
free to create an issue for this, a pull request would certainly be
welcome.

> I also have to know the exact username (email) for each user, rather than
> being able to choose it from a list...

This is deliberate, we only expose the full user list to
administrators, we would consider it a privacy issue to expose the
email address of every Galaxy user to every other user.