On Feb 1, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Prasun Dutta <prasundutt...@yahoo.co.in>
> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Unfortunately, I am not an advanced developer in python. Although, I have
>> 'Cygwin' in my system. Any heads up on that will be greatly appreciated?
>>

> Cygwin is a useful system for running Unix/Linux tools under Windows,
> and according to this old email from Nate you would need to use it:
> http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-dev/2010-November/003671.html
>
> More recently a couple of people tried this and ran into problems:
> http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-dev/2011-October/007132.html
> http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-dev/2011-October/007180.html
> http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-dev/2011-October/007182.html
>
> For the simplest install and maintenance, choose what the Galaxy team
> use: Linux

Even if you can get the framework to run, many tools with C dependencies are
going to be a nightmare to use since the dependencies will almost certainly not
compile.  The easiest solution these days if you really have no access to a
Linux system (the cloud is a good choice here) is probably to install Linux in
a VM on your Windows system.  This can be done for free with a VM platform like
VirtualBox.

--nate