The absolute fastest method would be to enable filepath upload for data
libraries (in universe_wsgi.ini -- allow_library_path_paste = True).  Once
that's set, you can paste the absolute file path into the upload box, and check
the box for not copying the data.  This will leave the data where it is on the
external drive, though it will make it available in the Data Library.
Obviously if you use this method, you'll need to have that external drive
attached (and always at the same mount point) to use the data.

If you actually *do* want to copy this data off the external drive, simply
don't check that 'no copy' checkbox and the data will be copied directly
through the filesystem and not uploaded.

-Dannon