On Feb 6, 2013, at 11:04 AM, Thyssen, Gregory - ARS wrote:

> Hello
> Everything seems to be working on my local Galaxy
> I was talking to my IT guy who did the initial installation and he said that
> virtualenv may not have been loaded.
> When he did
> % yum install python-virtualenv.noarch
> He got a not found error.
>
> He did install mercurial and then completed the Install instructions from
> www.biocodershub.net/community/guest-post-notes-on-installing-galaxy/
>
> What should we do at this point?
> Is VirtualEnv dispensible?
> What should I expect to be broken?
> Whats the fix?

Hi Greg,

virtualenv is not required, it just prevents site packages (extra modules not
installed with the default python interpreter) from interfering with Galaxy's
internally managed dependencies.  You can also install virtualenv using pip,
easy_install, setup.py, or by just downloading virtualenv.py and running it
directly.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv

--nate