The workers don't need their own copy of galaxy installed, but a shared
filesystem is a requirement for galaxy (in any cluster environment -- see the
galaxy wiki for more
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Performance/Cluster).  Cloudman
handles managing NFS for you and sharing the galaxy/tools/index/data volumes.
In order for workers to communicate with the master instance, they'll need the
cloudman installation as well, so you should use the same image.

Now that I've answered that, I'm not sure I totally understand your proposed
installation yet, but if you're suggesting bypassing cloudman for installation
on a private cloud it should be possible.  You'd want the master instance up
full time running as the galaxy front end, dispatching jobs to a separate
cluster managed by SGE/PBS/whatever.  Basically the standard cluster
configuration outlined in the wiki above, but you'd want your worker nodes
automatically configured to mount the shared directories and join the PBS/SGE
queue so they could handle jobs.

Depending on what type of private cloud you're working with, it might be easier
to just see if you can get cloudman to work :)

Lastly, I swapped this message to galaxy-dev since it's about installation nuts
and bolts.

-Dannon