Hagai,

Jorrit Boekel and I have implemented essentially literally what you described.

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/pull-request/116/multiple-file-datasets-implementation

Merge this in to your Galaxy tree
https://bitbucket.org/jmchilton/galaxy-central-multifiles-feb2013.
Switch use_composite_multfiles to true in universe_wsgi.ini. Then you
automatically get a multiple file version of each of your datatypes
(so m:fastq, m:xls, etc...). Tools that process a singleton version of
a datatype can seamlessly process a multiple file version of that
dataset in parallel and the outputs that are created as a result are
going to be of the multifile type of the original types.

These datasets can be created using the multifile upload tool, a
directory on the FTP server, or via library imports via API.

Input names are preserved like you described.

Some huge caveats:
 - The Galaxy team has expressed reservations about this particular
implementation so it will never be officially supported.
 - Its early days and this is very experimental (use at your own risk).
 - I am pretty sure it is not going to work with bed files, since
there is special logic in Galaxy to deal with bed indices (I think we
can work around it by declaring a concrete m:bed type and replicated
that logic, its on the TODO list but happy to accept contributions :)
).

More discussion of this can be found at these places:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxJzEkOasu4
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/pull-request/116/multiple-file-datasets-implementation
http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/pass-more-information-on-a-dataset-merge-td4656455.html

-John