On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Carlos Borroto
<carlos.borr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Nate Coraor <n...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
>> You'll need something here like:
>>
>>     Satisfy Any
>>     Order deny,allow
>>     Deny from all
>>     Allow from your.galaxy.server
>
> Thanks Nate!, this worked flawlessly. My work around was to point
> galaxy to the toolshed paster server at localhost:9009 instead of
> apache in tool_sheds_conf.xml. This is a much better solution thou.

Oops, I spoke to soon. This does solve the access issue from the
apache side, but then the toolshed is expecting a remote user and will
answer with a message in a red box and a "HTTP/1.1 403". This is the
red box message:

"Access to this Galaxy tool shed is denied

This Galaxy tool shed is configured to authenticate users via an
external method (such as HTTP authentication in Apache), but a
username was not provided by the upstream (proxy) server. This is
generally due to a misconfiguration in the upstream server.

Contact your local Galaxy tool shed administrator."

It took me a while to realize this was the problem. I though I was
doing something wrong with the apache configuration. I confirmed it by
manually trying to access the URL I saw in the logs getting a
"HTTP/1.1 403" from a host I had in "Allow from ...".

BTW the work around I mentioned will fail as well. I though I was
using it but in reality I had use_remote_user turned off. Testing too
many combinations got me a little confuse on what works and what
doesn't.

In summary, I'm missing something here or I don't think there is
currently a functional way of turning on remote user with the
toolshed.

Thanks,
Carlos