On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> Sorry you're having difficulty here.  I'm not able to help very much here
> because I'm not familiar with the Galaxy remote user authentication process
> and I don't have an environment in which to mess with it.
>
> In case it helps, however, the Tool Shed uses the same code for remote user
> authentication as Galaxy does, so if you have gotten this to work for a
> Galaxy instance, you should be able to use the same configuration for the
> Tool Shed.

Hi Greg,

Maybe I should explain myself better here and also create a trello
card to check progress on this issue.

When you activate use_remote_user in the Tool Shed and correctly
configure your web server(ex. Apache), everything will work as in
Galaxy. You will get presented with an Apache basic authentication box
and you will get access Tool Shed as expected. Every single feature in
the Tool Shed works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Where is the problem them?. Well, it is when you try to install a tool
from the Tool Shed in a Galaxy instance. When Galaxy tries to clone
the mercurial repository from the Tool Shed it gets a "HTTP/1.1 403".
Even so if you made sure Apache will allow unrestricted access from
the Galaxy host. You still get "HTTP/1.1 403" from the Tool Shed, as
the Tools Shed is expecting a remote user header the Galaxy instance
is not providing.

I'm not so sure what is the best way to approach this issue. I see two
possibilities thou. Galaxy will have to provide a remote user header,
maybe assume the Galaxy user is the same as the Tool Shed, a good
guess I think, or the Tool Shed would have to allow access to
"/repositories/" even if there is no a remote user in the header.
Again, I don't know if either of these options are technically
possible or safe to use.

Thanks for looking into this,
Carlos