How old is the galaxy you're running?  To use the main toolshed you'll need to
use a galaxy-dist release from December or later.  After this point in time the
interface was standardized and is backwards compatible.

To update, you should be able to simply navigate to your galaxy-dist directory,
'hg pull -u', and you'll be off and running.

Also, since this deals with a local install, please do keep replies on the
'galaxy-dev' list that I transitioned this thread to instead of galaxy-user.

Thanks!

-Dannon