Hi, David.
does enclosing your XML in a CDATA section help? It should just get written
out without being interpreted, and it works for me in the toolfactory - the
contents still get written out but without the CDATA section.

<configfiles>
    <configfile name="loadTestxml">
<![CDATA[
*<!DOCTYPE crystal SYSTEM "/usr/share/sgml/crystal.dtd">
<!--- Load a pos file called "babla.pos" -->
<crystal>
<version value="0.0.1"/>
<posload name="${posfile}"/>
</crystal>*