To filter and select all, just click the select2 box with the dataset list,
type to filter the list, and then either press once for the first match or
hold enter for more/all.  This isn't optimal, but as you'd guessed it's
incremental work towards having more control over matching multiple inputs
for workflows (and individual tools, eventually).