Yeah, if you're running it with just `run.sh`, that should work fine.  One
thing you can do if you're going to be tweaking a bunch of settings would
be to run it with the reload option enabled `run.sh --reload`.

When you change the port in universe_wsgi.ini in the galaxy directory, kill
the server and restart, in the log at the end you should see something like:
serving on 0.0.0.0:<new port> view at http://127.0.0.1:<new port>

If you're not seeing that, I'd verify that you're editing the correct
universe_wsgi.ini.  Perhaps you have multiple galaxies installed somehow?