David,

The reason shed_tools should be outside the Galaxy path is that tool shed mercurial repositories can interfere with the Galaxy mercurial repository, since mercurial will find more than one .hg directory. As long as the data you want to store is not a mercurial repository, you should be safe, but my advice would still be to locate it outside the Galaxy path to avoid any possibility of conflicts.

   --Dave B.