Jeff,

How / Where did you add the apache changes? Are you using VirutalHosts
or ... ? Quick glance, everything appears correct. Its been a while
since I used Apache (switched everything to nginx) however I believe
if you want to setup a Reverse Proxy, you need to add / use the proxy
pass lines which does not appear in the Galaxy Wiki.

Something like this should work: (untested...)

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
  ProxyRequests Off
  <Proxy *>
    AddDefaultCharset off
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from *.ualberta.ca # Change / Remove as needed
  </Proxy>

  ProxyPass /galaxy http://localhost:8080/
  ProxyPassReverse /galaxy http://localhost:8080/
  # Line below is optional