You can verify this with 'hg branch', but it looks like you're tracking the
default branch of -dist, where you want to be on stable.  'hg update
stable' should fix this, and the issue you're seeing.

You should only have to do this once, next time you update (with just hg
pull -u) you'll stay on stable.