On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:56 AM, Mike Dyall-Smith
<mike.dyallsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This follows on from Kenneth Auerbach's question Sep 12, 2012: Galaxy error
> running NCBI BLAST: blastx
> http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/Galaxy-error-running-NCBI-BLAST-blastx-td4656210.html
>
> I wish to use a local copy of the genbank database for searches. The genbank
> db files are sitting in a folder on an external drive, and I have altered
> the blastdb_p.loc to point to them.
>
> I can see and select this database within galaxy, but when I try using
> blast+ blastp tool, I get the error ""BLAST Database error: No alias or
> index file found for protein database
> [/media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr] in search path
> [/var/lib/galaxy-server/database/job_working_directory]
>
> As suggested previously by Peter Cock, I can list all the files with: ls
> /media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr*
> which gives me the list:
> /media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr.00.phd
> /media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr.00.phi
> /media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr.10.psq
> /media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr.pal
>
> The alias file, nr.pal is the last one in the list above, so is present.
>
> I changed the default directory for the blast database:
> BLASTDB=/media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr
>   - this made no difference to the error.
>
> I am running biolinux 7 (latest) in ubuntu within VirtualBox, on a macbook
> pro. The external drive is a shared folder, and I can see all the files
> within galaxy (e.g. I can import data data files).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards, Mike DS

Hi Mike,

Have you been able to successfully run blastp with the nr database
at the command line by hand?

Could you share the (relevant lines from) your blastdb_p.loc file,
and the matching error message from blastp when called from
Galaxy?

With your files here, /media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr.*
you should use /media/sf_mikeds_bioinf/GenbankDB_Files/nr/nr as
the BLAST the database name (column 3 in blastdb_p.loc for use
in Galaxy).

(Personally I don't bother with the BLASTDB setting, it is just one
more point of confusion when using BLAST on a cluster.)

Regards,