Recent versions of Galaxy no longer use PasteScript at all, you seem
to be looking at a fairly old version.

Currently, scripts/paster.py calls lib/galaxy/util/pastescript/serve.py

The "run" method in that module users PasteDeploy to load everything
that is specified in the universe_wsgi.ini. Specifically, calling
buildapp for the web application which starts all of the other Galaxy
components.

--
James Taylor, Assistant Professor, Biology/CS, Emory University