Thanks. Let's try and diagnose this from the client side first. Can you:
- open the history panel in it's own frame and use firebug's net tab to get
the request and response headers?
- open the about:config tab of firefox, search for the
network.http.accept-encoding entry, and let me know what it's set to?

Carl