Add workflow_ compatible ="false" to the tool XML element to hide it
in the workflow editor. Check the tools/data_source/upload.xml for an
example of this.

If you would like to hide it both in the workflow editor and the side
bar but still allow for other direct links to it you can setup dynamic
toolbox filters (you will need to manually pull in the pull request
changes as this has not been merged by the Galaxy team):

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/pull-request/160/implement-dynamic-toolbox-filters

These can even let you show it to your admins in their side panel, but
not to other users. This way you don't have to hack up the admin
section of the UI.

Additionally, you may want to go one step further and prevent others
from using the tool (not just preventing them from seeing it). To do
this, you can use dynamic job destinations and prevent these tools
from running for non-admins:

http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Jobs

-John