I'm trying to add a data source that provides tarballs. Are there any docs
for data_source.py, the data types registry, and so-forth? The data source
docs seem to only cover the http callback mechanism. I'm trying to
understand what happens after that: a json file is created with download
params, data_source.py reads it and then overwrites it with the downloaded
file, the registry is consulted for additional processing, which then
gunzips the tarball.

Gunzip isn't necessarily the right step. It might be better to tar-extract
appropriate files and let galaxy know about them somehow. I can call
data_source.py from a custom tool, and then handle the tar steps, but I
don't know how to direct galaxy to the untarred files.