While I never got a reply to this, I did continue trying to figure it out and
ended up doing a fresh install on our system and there histories worked.  After
a bit of back and forth with upgrading the previous install and database the
issue appears to be with subtle changes to the universe_wsgi.ini file and
starting with a fresh one that came with the new distribution, and then
modifying that to suit our environment resulted in an upgrade where histories
worked.

Shane

--
For urgent cases, contact supp...@biomatters.com