> This is something our research group is interested in, but it's not possible
> to specify which cluster the particular tool should run on ahead of time.

Incorrect (at least to my knowledge). Using the new way jobs are
handled within Galaxy via the XML[1] files you can send specific jobs
to specific destinations which could be different "clusters."

For our cluster, we handle the file uploading "tool" to a different
job runner then the cluster (SGE). This was accomplished by

    <tools>
        <tool id="upload1" destination="local"/>
    </tools>

where id is the galaxy tool id and destination is where the tool
should be ran, cluster, local, etc.

[1] http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Jobs

--
Adam Brenner