On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For what is I think the second time (fortunately this was only on the
> Test Tool Shed), I have managed to upload a tar-ball to the wrong
> repository:
>
> 2:fae4084a0bc0
> http://testtoolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/peterjc/fastq_paired_unpaired
>
> It could have been a glitch, but more likely is was simply inattention
> on my part (most likely - multiple tab browsing has its downsides).

Oops, I did it again:
http://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/peterjc/get_orfs_or_cdss

> This leads me to offer some suggestions for how to prevent
> this kind of user error in future:
>
> (1) After the upload, show a preview of the changes for
> confirmation (the drawback is this could take a long time
> to process for a large upload, and lead to time outs).
>
> (2) After upload, before committing the changes, compare
> the tool contents - adding or removing some tools is normal,
> replacing ALL the tools with different tools is probably an
> error and should be subject to user confirmation.
>
> (3) Offer a repository action to revert to a prior commit
> (current workaround is to re-upload the old good file,
> which I did as 3:81ac324efa49 in this case).
>
> Peter

On the bright side, the small improvement we discussed
back in May to have the current repository name on the
"Upload a single file or a tarball" page is definitely helping.

Am I still the only person sometimes careless enough to
mess this up and need an automated safety net?