On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Rodolfo Aramayo <raram...@tamu.edu> wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> It did contain errors as reported by tailing the last part of the
>> INSTALLATION.log
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --Rodolfo
>
> Looks like your BOOST is too new for BLAST 2.2.26+ (which
> just recently became a problem on the Galaxy Tool Shed testing
> system as well).
>
> In the short term I'm hoping to update the Tool Shed repository
> to use the NCBI provided pre-compiled binaries. I'm in discussion
> with Galaxy's Dave Bouvier about how best to do that, perhaps
> with some relatively new functionality added to Galaxy. Next,
> updating the BLAST+ version (and the unit tests to match).
>
> I would suggest right now you manually install BLAST+ using
> the NCBI provided binaries.
>
> Peter

Boost is a funny thing
Changes a lot
A package compiled with one Boost version might fail to compile with a
newer one. I have seen it a lot
You either have to download Boost and link to the specific version you
want before compiling your package or provide pre-compiled binaries
The question I have is: How many Galaxy packages have Boos as a
dependency for compilation? and if the answer is: a lot, then would it
be smart for Galaxy to have a place where it can keep versions of
these commonly-used libraries so that they can be linked by packages
that need to be compiled 'in-situ' or would it be just more efficient
to provide pre-compiled binaries?
Something tells me that pre-compiled binaries might not take full
advantage of the hardware they are and that compiling is better...
So, should ToolShed installation require automatic download of a set
of pre-defined commonly-used libraries?

--Rodolfo