Hi Peter,

I made this work for images defined in tool help sections - see
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/ToolShedToolFeatures#Properly_defining_the_location_of_images_in_tool_configuration_files

It shouldn't be too difficult to enhace the repository readme display feature
to use the same approach.  Ive created the following Trello card fvor this
request.

https://trello.com/c/nTArHl8J/1064-toolshed-handle-image-display-in-repository-readme-files

Thanks!

Greg Von Kuster