Thanks again Nate.

You are right that SGE is overwriting TMPDIR.
When the job runs, TMPDIR is actually set to a job specific dir like
/tmp/3579.1.default.q

It seems that I will have to change the SGE queue settings so that TMPDIR
only set the "prefix" to /scratch that I want... but this would affect all
users of the queue...

We will probably have to live with that.
Thanks for all your help!
-Tin

You might want to have a dummy tool output `set` on the cluster.  Chances