Hello Peter,

First of all, interesting question :). Generally, I would suppose both
approaches are correct: on the one hand those workflows are a defined set
of processing rules in an explicit format, like software is the
implementation of algorithms. More detailed, it is a script, processed by
an interpreter (= Galaxy). On the other hand, those rules are on a more or
less abstract level (does that matter?) and carry somewhat creativity
(well, just the uplink to *Creative* Commons...).

I would redirect your question to the counter question "How similar is the
saved workflow to software code?". Means: is there a file or a database
entry, which is comparable to an (interpreted) programming language (->
software)? Or is it more similar to a markup language like XML, which is
indeed the case for some other basic elements in Galaxy (-> document)?

Hope that helps...

Looking forward to some more replies,
Cheers,

Sebastian

Peter Cock schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> A philosophical question - for my Galaxy tools and wrappers,
> I have been using open source software (OSS) licences, e.g.
> the MIT license, or GPL.
>
> For licensing my Galaxy workflows, should I also treat them as
> software and do the same, or as a protocol document and go
> for something like one of the Creative Commons licenses?
> e.g. CC BY, or CC BY-SA
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Sebastian Schaaf, M.Sc. Bioinformatics