Dear Galaxians,

This email is about difficulties with the current approach for installing tool
dependency binaries from the Galaxy Toolshed, and what might be done to improve
the situation.  It comes down to this:  packaging software to run on different
systems is tricky.  It is a problem that has been solved by various Linux
distributions with their packaging systems (RPM, deb, etc.), and package
archives.  The Galaxy Toolshed is trying to solve this problem again, but so
far it doesn't work very well.  There must be something better we can do.

Since gaining a better understanding from the Galaxy Community Conference of
what the Toolshed is trying to do (versioned tools, reproducibility), I have
been working on switching over from locally installed tools to Toolshed
versions.  However, it has not gone well, and I think I am about to revert to
my previous approach.  Here's the problem:  building software from source on
any system requires certain tweaks to the build process which are dependent on
the target platform.  An example is the NCBI BLAST+ suite, which failed to
build on my (EL6) system, because it couldn't run /usr/bin/touch.  That's
pretty dumb, and pretty simple to solve in isolation - it needs to be running
/bin/touch instead.

But the general point is this:  it's not feasible (i.e. too much work, too
hard) to produce build scripts to build software from source that work on any
platform, even the common ones.  Packaging source code for a given platform is
a non-trivial task.  The RPM and deb packagers are doing a good job here.  It's
a significant amount of work.  I know that, as I've been packaging
bioinformatics software as binary RPMs for EL6 for 18 months or so now, and
have done nearly 300 packages.

What do we want?  Simply to be able to install a given version of some
software, and all its dependencies, with a single click, or a single command,
and have it Just Work (tm).  It's the dependencies that make this hard.  Things
get installed in different ways on different systems.  Does your platform need
#include <bam.h>, or #include <bam/bam.h>?  If the former, then you'll have to
patch tophat, say, (in a trivial way) before building it.  I think this is
simply too hard to do by embedding some commands and conditionals in Toolshed
XML build files.

It seems to me that a number of people out there are currently having some
issues installing tool dependencies from the Toolshed, because things are not
building as expected.  I think it's much easier for just one person to
troubleshoot why things go wrong when they are packaging the software for a
given platform, rather than for each end user (Galaxy admin) to wonder why a
tool failed to install.

So, what to do?  My starting point is that I have packaged a large amount of
bioinformatics software for EL6, which is freely available at
http://rpm.agresearch.co.nz/.  I'm after some Galaxy tool wrappers for the
tools that we use here at AgResearch, which can simply make use of packages
installed from this repo.

Is there any interest in exploring the merits or otherwise of this approach in
the Galaxy community?

cheers,
Simon

Simon Guest