Hi Joachim,

At AgResearch we are using ZFS for our HPC storage, which is used by our
internal Galaxy instance.  Currently we are running on FreeNAS (FreeBSD
derivative), but we are in transition to ZFS on Linux.  We export the
filesystem over NFS (10Gb Ethernet), but not the database (PostgreSQL).  In
general, you want block storage for a database, so I suggest you look for a
solution other than NFS to host that.

Our experience with ZFS has been very positive.  However, FreeNAS is not really
suited to our needs - it's more of a storage appliance, probably great for a
home NAS.  Hence the planned transition.

I strongly recommend you follow the discussion on the ZFS discuss mailing list.
 There's a lot to learn about ZFS configuration, much more than you will glean
from few posts here.
http://zfsonlinux.org/lists.html

cheers,
Simon