On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Nikos Sidiropoulos
<nikos.sid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> It's going to be one big machine, running both Galaxy server and the jobs.
> It's going to be a multi-process configuration. If that idea is terribly bad
> please let me know so I can give back the feedback.

It should be OK for a small number of users, but at some point if
usage increases you will have to switch to a multi-machine setup
(or just a single even bigger machine). If you do have access to
a cluster, you can choose which tools are run locally and which
are run on the cluster.

Don't forget to budget for enough disk storage as well - Galaxy
usage tends to generate a lot of intermediate files which your
users may not routinely delete from their histories.

> De novo assembly can also be for the human/mouse genome.

You may not have enough RAM, however I have no personal
experience doing de novo assemblies of mouse/human to guide
you here. Someone else on the list should be able to help, or
since this is a general question try searching online, e.g. at
seqanswers.com

I'm not sure how easy it would be to setup your Galaxy to only
allow one de novo assembly at a time - which would seem a
sensible precaution given you may have multiple users (or the
same user) trying to run assemblies in parallel.