On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Dave Bouvier <d...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Yes, the functional test suite is a bit on the slow side, and one of my
> long-term goals has been to improve the performance as best I can.

Great - I appreciate there are lots of other high priority issues
with the test framework (e.g. repeats and conditionals), so
speed alone won't be top of the list.

>> Florent has identified one clear bottleneck is the creation of
>> a fresh SQLite database each time, upon which the growing
>> number of schema migration calls must be performed. Could
>> we not cache an empty but up to date copy of this database?
>>
>> i.e. Something like this:
>>
>> 1. run_functional_tests.sh starts
>> 2. If it exists, copy empty_test_sqlite_database.db,
>>     otherwise create new test SQLite database as now.
>> 3. Check the schema version.
>> 4. If the temporary SQlite database is out of date,
>>     run the migration, and then save a copy of this now
>>     up to date database as empty_test_sqlite_database.db,
>> 5. run the tests
>
> And that would be very easy to automate, with the environment
> variable GALAXY_TEST_DBURI set to the path to the empty,
> migrated database, and a few aliases or scripts to replace the
> test database file with the "template" file on each run.

I see that environment variable already exists, perhaps I
can hack something together... at least enough to show
a worthwhile time saving.

>> Perhaps the empty SQLite database could even be
>> cached in BitBucket too, for a faster first test run with
>> a clean checkout?
>
> I'm not sure of that idea, it would feel a bit like adding a
> non-essential file to the codebase which is generated
> programmatically by existing code.

External caching would be enough (and cleaner).

>> Separately, running the tests themselves seems overly
>> slow - can anything be tweaked here? For example, is
>> there any point executing the external set_meta script
>> in the test environment?
>
> The switch to the external set_meta script was done
> because setting metadata internally was becoming
> computationally expensive. As I understand it, switching
> to internal metadata would actually lead to poorer
> performance in the functional tests.

Sorry, I was unclear - although that is interesting.

What I meant was, do we even need the metadata
for validating the test results? If not, skip generating it.

Regards,