On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Dave Bouvier <d...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> On 09/16/2013 09:38 AM, Peter Cock wrote:
>>
>> What I meant was, do we even need the metadata
>> for validating the test results? If not, skip generating it.
>
> Unfortunately, the metadata needs to be set in order
> to populate and validate input fields, ...

That makes sense, although I personally would think the
current approach via the upload tool is an unnecessary
overhead in itself - why not work with the input files in
the test-data folder directly without copying them?

This could also solve the problem of only being able to
write tests with input files which support uploading -
right now for example I can't write tests using BLAST
databases (composite datatypes) as inputs.

> and I don't believe it's currently possible to limit
> metadata setting to uploaded files, and not output
> datasets.

Do you think it would save much time if that was
disabled? Or is the metadata not that slow and just
produces lots of logging output drawing attention
to itself?