You have to compile nginx with the auth-ldap module. Have you done
this? I am doing using CloudBioLinux and here is how it is being done
in that context, but it would probably be easier just doing it by
hand:

https://github.com/chapmanb/cloudbiolinux/blob/master/cloudbio/galaxy/__init__.py

I have posted my information on configuring CloudMan's nginx for LDAP
auth, but you can ignore the CloudMan stuff:

https://production-galaxy-instances-with-cloudman-and-cloudbiolinux.readthedocs.org/en/latest/#configuring-nginx-conf

http {

    auth_ldap_url
ldap://ldap.example.com/dc=example,dc=com?uid?sub?(objectClass=person);
    #auth_ldap_binddn cn=nginx,ou=service,dc=example,dc=com;
    #auth_ldap_binddn_passwd mYsUperPas55W0Rd
    #auth_ldap_group_attribute uniquemember; # default 'member'
    #auth_ldap_group_attribute_is_dn on; # default on

}

location / {
    auth_ldap_require valid_user;
    auth_ldap "LDAP Auth Source Description";
    proxy_set_header REMOTE_USER $remote_user;

    proxy_pass  http://galaxy_app;
    proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-Host $host;
    proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_set_header   X-URL-SCHEME https;

}

# For API access, set REMOTE_USER if available so Galaxy
# session based requests are let through, if REMOTE_USER is not
# available pass the request through and let Galaxy determine
# if a key is present and valid.
location  /api {
    proxy_set_header REMOTE_USER $remote_user;
    proxy_pass  http://galaxy_app;
    proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-Host $host;
    proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
}

-John