> How are Galaxy histories shared amongst users?
My misunderstanding was that histories shared between users remain a single
entity.  Prompted by your question I have now tried history sharing, and
see that the second user makes a distinct copy of the first user's history,
thus changing the history_id.  The history_id is exclusive to a single
user.  While a history_id would still provide a level of control that I
would desire, I now see I can avoid unintended name collisions with the
already available user_id.

Nevertheless... I am not sure I understand the resistance to providing a
unique id associated with a history.
Thanks,
-tim