I see the same issue, repeatedly on my galaxy instance. Running
unmodified from the galaxy-dist/default branch.

Since I'm running the uncompressed data.js, I get a bit more information
from my errors than Peter's

> [10:05:12.293] TypeError: j is undefined @
> http://xxx/galaxy/static/scripts/mvc/data.js:1
> [10:05:12.291] "TabularButtonTrackster : Chromosome column
> undefined."

Mine points to line 188 in data.js, specifically the "else if" in this
function.

    _renderCell: function(cell_contents, index, colspan) {
        var column_types = this.model.get_metadata('column_types');
        if (colspan !== undefined) {
            return $('<td>').attr('colspan',
colspan).addClass('stringalign').text(cell_contents);
        }
        else if (column_types[index] === 'str' || column_types === 'list') {
            /* Left align all str columns, right align the rest */
            return $('<td>').addClass('stringalign').text(cell_contents);
        }
        else {
            return $('<td>').text(cell_contents);
        }
    },

I get an error:

"Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of undefined", indicating
that upon attempting to read index 0 of "column_types" it determines
that column_types is null.

I commented out the else-if block and found that everything else was
working, it just rendered as right aligned.

Hope this helps!

Eric Rasche