Hi Pieter,

We've worked out what we think is the right way to solve this for Galaxy
and expect work to start soon.  See the trello card (
https://trello.com/c/325AXIEr/613-tools-dataset-collections) for more
details.

For your particular tool, the first workaround that comes to mind would be
adding a new datatype, say, ZippedInputFiles in your toolshed repository
that gets included and used by users, though I haven't actually tried that.
 That said, I'd probably wait, this feature is high on our list of things
to do next.

-Dannon