Hi Nicola,

Oh, excellent. I must've skipped over that, given the strange title of
the thread.

Your solution at the end of that thread is very promising, and certainly
handles failure MUCH better than mine does (i.e. raising exceptions and
not breaking a workflow if the user isn't permitted access.)

(Did you put it on the galaxy wiki anywhere? If it weren't for you
linking that, I never would've known about it and that's very useful info!)

In my organisation's case; if a user isn't allowed access to a given
tool, we believe that

- - galaxy has no reason to admit it exists
- - galaxy should not share default information about a tool

Which is a bit different from the case of having a license to use a
tool. For licensing issues, naturally it would be fine to say "yes this
exists and if you can't run it, obtain a license".

For my org's case, we might want to store administrative tools (for
other services) in galaxy. It's a very convenient platform for more than
just bioinformatics and we have some non-technical people on staff who
occasionally need to pull various data sets from various services/make
database backups/etc. Students and clients who use our galaxy instance
don't need to know that these tools are available.

Thoughts?

- --
Eric Rasche
Programmer II