Folks,

I am new to using proftpd/Galaxy on a local cluster I am having lots of issues.
Here is one. I cannot connect to the proftpd server to upload files.

./proftpd --version

ProFTPD Version 1.3.4d

( so proftpd is compiled and running)

I am attempting to connect from an iMAC (OSX 10.9) to a LINUX machine where the
proftp server is running

ftp 123.45.678.123

Connected to 123.45.678.123.

220 ProFTPD 1.3.4d Server (Public Galaxy FTP by ProFTPD server installation)
[128.23.191.200]

Name (123.45.678.123:hazards): hazards

331 Password required for hazards

I enter a password and I get  “Abort trap 6” or “421 service not available,
remote server closed connection” ( this latter reply from an older mac)

I presume that this means that the authentication failed.

Here are the last lines of my proftpd.conf file

# Do not authenticate against real (system) users

AuthPAM                         off

# Set up mod_sql_password - Galaxy passwords are stored as hex-encoded SHA1

SQLPasswordEngine               on

SQLPasswordEncoding             hex

# Set up mod_sql to authenticate against the Galaxy database

SQLEngine                       on

SQLBackend                      postgres

SQLConnectInfo                  galax...@xxx.musc.edu dbuser dbpassword

SQLAuthTypes                    SHA1

SQLAuthenticate                 users

# An empty directory in case chroot fails

SQLDefaultHomedir               /shared/app/ProFFTPd-1.3.4d/default

# Define a custom query for lookup that returns a passwd-like entry.  UID and
GID should match your Galaxy user.

SQLUserInfo                     custom:/LookupGalaxyUser

SQLNamedQuery                   LookupGalaxyUser SELECT
"email,password,'581','582','/shared/app/Galaxy/galaxy_dist/database/files/%U','/bin/bash'
 FROM galaxy_user WHERE email='%U’"

I have a user named galaxy on the system and a Galaxy-user named galaxy defined
within Galaxy and an owner of the postgresql database.

With respect to the following line, If my Galaxy postgresql database is called
“galaxydb”,  are the dbuser and dbpassword to be the postgresql owner of the
database? Or the system user named galaxy who has actually started the instance
of galaxy with  run.sh command.

SQLConnectInfo                  galax...@xxx.musc.edu galaxy Galaxy2013

With respect to this line

SQLNamedQuery                   LookupGalaxyUser SELECT
"email,password,'581','582’,……

What are the appropriate UID and GID to apply here?  I  have a system user
“galaxy” who starts Galaxy with “run.sh”. This user’s UID and GID are 581 and
582 respectively but I am not able to login for FTP transfer

If I use Chrome and paste " ftp://123.45.678.123”

I get “unable to load webpage because server sent no data “error code
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

If I paste

"ftp://123.45.678.123/ /path/to/file"

And press execute in my local Galaxy GUI I get a "tool error” with no Std_Out
and no Std_error

So I cannot use FTP via  ProFTPD 1.3.4d Server to upload files. How can I test
postgresql authentication via Galaxy/proftpd to get at the problem?

Starr