Forgot to cc galaxy-dev on this, it is too riveting not to post :).

-John

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Chilton <chil0...@umn.edu>
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] Managing Data Locality
To: "Paniagua, Eric" <epani...@cshl.edu>

Hey Eric,

  Sorry for the delayed response, I have pushed some updates to
galaxy-central and the lwr to close some loop and fill out
documentation based on your comments.

  I worry my last e-mail didn't make it clear that what you want to do
is very ... ambitious. I didn't mean to make it sound like this was a
solved problem, just that it was a problem that people were working on
various parts of. The additional wrinkle that you would like run these
jobs as the actual user is another significant hurdle.  All of that
said, you are certainly not alone or unreasonable in wanting this
functionality - many large computing centers have very similar use
cases and have made various degree of progress including my former
employer the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute and I doubt anyone is
currently using the LWR in this capacity at such centers (it is still
mostly used for submitting jobs to Windows servers).

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Paniagua, Eric <epani...@cshl.edu> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I have now read the top-level documentation for LWR, and gone through the
> sample configurations.  I would appreciate if you would answer a few
> technical questions for me.
>
> 1) How exactly is the "staging_directory" in "server.ini.sample" used?  Is
> that intended to be the (final) location at which to put files on the remote
> server?  How is the relative path structure under
> $GALAXY_ROOT/databases/files handled?

Depending on the configuration, either the LWR client or the LWR will
copy/transfer files out of $GALAXY_ROOT/database/files into
${staging_directory}/${job_identifier}.In your case
$GALAXY_ROOT/database/files will not be mounted on the large compute
cluster but staging_directory should be.  Here, job_identifier can be
either the Galaxy job id or a UUID if you want to allow multiple
Galaxy instances to submit to the same LWR (see assign_uuid option in
server.ini.sample).

> 2) What exactly does "persistence_directory" in "server.ini.sample" mean?
> Where should it be located, how will it be used?

The LWR doesn't talk to a "real" database, it just uses a directory to
persist various internal mappings that should persist beyond an LWR
restart. You shouldn't need to modify this unless the
$LWR_ROOT/persisted_data is not writable to the LWR user (in your case
the LWR user should likely be the Galaxy user). I have filled out the
documentation in server.ini.sample to reflect this.

> 3) What exactly does "file_cache_dir" in "server.ini.sample" mean?

It is an experimental feature - it may help you down the road to cache
large files on the file system available to the whole cluster on that
file system so they only need to be transferred out of
$GALAXY_ROOT/database/files once. This option is not used unless it is
specified however, so I would try to get it working in a simpler
(though still very complicated :) ) configuration first. I have filled
out the documentation in server.ini.sample to reflect this.

> 4) Does LWR preserve some relative path (e.g. to GALAXY_ROOT) under the above
> directories?

No.

> 5) Are files renamed when cached?  If so, are they eventually restored to
> their original names?

They are put in new directory structures (e.g.
${staging_directory}/${job_id}/{inputs,outputs}), but I believe they
should have the same names. They do eventually get plopped back into
$GALAXY_ROOT/database/files. I have never used the LWR with an object
store - so none of this might work. Hopefully, if there is a fix
needed it will be easy.

> 6) Is it possible to customize the DRMAA and/or qsub requests made by LWR,
> for example to include additional settings such as Project or a memory limit?
>  Is it possible to customize this on a case by case basis, rather than
> globally?

Yes, there are lots of possibilities here (probably too many) and
obviously none particularly well documented. There is an LWR way of
doing this, but I the best thing to do is going to be piggy backing on
job_conf.xml (the Galaxy way). You will want to review the
documentation for how to setup job_conf.xml and ponit to it, but once
you set up an LWR destination you can specify a native specification
to pass along to the LWR by adding the following tag:

  <param id="submit_native_specification">-P bignodes -R y -pe threads 8</param>

This will only work if your are targeting a queued_drmaa or
queued_external_drmaa job manager on the LWR side...

> 7) Are there any options for the "queued_drmaa" manager in
> "job_managers.ini.sample" which are not listed in that file?

Yes, in particular native_specification can be specified just likely
Galaxy here. I have updated the sample.

However, given your setup (run as real user) you will want the manager
type 'queued_external_drmaa' which runs DRMAA communications in a
separate process that can be run as a different user. This has some
additional options "production", chown_working_directory_script,
drmaa_kill_script, drmaa_launch_script. The defaults for all these
should just work but you can modify them if you want. You will need to
add the following rules or some variant of them to your sudoers file
on the LWR server.

galaxy  ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: SETENV:
/home/galaxy/lwr/scripts/drmaa_external_runner.sh
galaxy  ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: SETENV:
/home/galaxy/lwr/scripts/drmaa_external_killer.py
galaxy  ALL = (root) NOPASSWD: SETENV: /usr/bin/chown

This last rule can be significantly restricted since all chowns will
be of the form "chown -R '{user}'
'/path/to/staging_directory/job_id'". I need to work documentation of
all this though.

If using the external version of the drmaa runner, you will need to
add another param element to the destination to pass along the user,
specifically:

<param id="submit_user">$__user_name__</param>

> 8) What exactly are the differences between the "queued_drmaa" manager and
> the "queued_cli" manager?  Are there any options for the latter which are not
> in the "job_managers.ini.sample" file?

queued_drmaa/queued_external_drmaa uses the DRMAA api to communicate
with the DRM, queued_cli uses the qsub and qstat commands (this feels
less clean, but is probably just as good). There is no
queue_external_cli, but it would probably be easy to add.

> 9) When I attempt to run LWR (not having completed all the mentioned
> preparation steps, namely without setting DRMAA_LIBRARY_PATH), I get a Seg
> fault.  Is this because it can't find DRMAA or is it potentially unrelated?
> In the latter case, here's the error being output to the console:
>
> ./run.sh: line 65: 26277 Segmentation fault      paster serve server.ini "$@"

Can you try to simplify the configuration, do not specify a
job_managers file for instance, this would narrow it down to a
DRMAA_LIBRARY_PATH problem. Also, sometimes you need to update the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to place the underlying (pbs?) shared library on it.

> Lastly, a simple comment, hopefully helpful.  It would be nice if the LWR
> install docs at least mentioned the dependency of PyOpenSSL 0.13 (or later)
> on OpenSSL 0.9.8f (or later), maybe even with a comment that "pip" will
> listen to the environment variables CFLAGS and LDFLAGS in the event one is
> creating a local installation of the OpenSSL library for LWR to use.

I have tried to update the documentation to reflect this, though in my
defense it mentions pyopenssl a couple places :). If you have more
specific recommendations, can you send me a patch for the README.rst
file or issue a pull request and I will consider additional changes.