If, by "current installation methods" you are not referring to Tool Shed
repository installation methods for installing tool dependencies, then please
read no further.

For installing tool dependencies along with repositories from the Tool Shed,
fabric is currently being used.  However, it's been on my list for a while to
eliminate fabric if possible so that I have more management of the threads and
process ids during installation.  If fabric / subprocess is a problem here, I
can attempt to raise the prority of looking at this.

Greg Von Kuster