Officially, I want to say that the data import tool cannot support
this request. You should download the data and upload it through FTP
or directly through the web interface. See this site for more
information: http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/FTPUpload.

Unofficially, you could try modifying the URL to include your username
and password. For example if I wanted to download the protected file
https://example.com/download/sample1.fastq that is blocked with
username john and password pass123 I would modify the URL as follows:
https://john:pass...@example.com/download/sample1.fastq. This will
keep a permanent record of your username and password in the Galaxy
database and these may be exposed if you share the uploaded dataset
with others in Galaxy - so this is really likely a VERY BAD idea. It
could even be a violation of your terms of use with this external site
as well.

-John