Hi Alex,

I've been trying to do something similar.  There are no doubt others on
this list who can offer more official answers than mine, but I'm happy to
share my experience so far:

1) First of all, do make sure to read through
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Performance/ProductionServer.
It's the best starting point for customizing your local production
deployment.

2) For AD authentication, it is indeed possible to kick that off to the
Apache proxy to handle.  I ended up opting out of using it because of some
anomalies and my lack of AD knowledge, and frankly I think there are some
UX disadvantages to using apache's generic authentication prompt.
Personally I'd like to see AD or other authentication handling be served
directly by the Galaxy backend (same login prompt and everything), but
that's just my personal taste.  Applicable documentation:
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Apache%20Proxy

3) I think there are a couple ways to go about this, but none of them are
direct.  Actually mounting the shares will probably be the most difficult
part, especially if you need to take permissions into account.  On the AD
side, you'll want to first verify that the shared drive is mountable by
the OS of your Galaxy server.  Depending on how the share is configured
(AD file permissions vs linux file permissions), you might have some
trouble matching permissions on, say, a linux server.

Assuming you can mount to your Galaxy server, I personally think the
easiest thing to do would be to mount not individual user shares but
rather a single share with individual user directories.  You could
potentially take advantage of Galaxy's FTP Upload functionality
(http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Upload%20via%20FTP) at this
point, sans the ftp server.  Let's say you mounted the AD governed single
point share to /mnt/ad-drive.  You could set
'ftp_upload_dir=/mnt/ad-drive' in Galaxy's universe_wsgi.ini file.  The
trick here would be to get Galaxy to map user directories under
/mnt/ad-drive in a manner that Galaxy's FTP interface understands.  To do
it Galaxy's way, you would want user directories to appear as their full
e-mail address as registered with Galaxy; so, for example
"alexander.ku...@bioch.ox.ac.uk" would appear on the share as literally
"/mnt/ad-drive/alexander.ku...@bioch.ox.ac.uk".

The fact that users would be registering on galaxy with their AD
credentials would help keep that system in sync.  With the ftp_upload_dir
option configured, u...@bioch.ox.ac.uk would see an extra option in the
Import Data interface to directly import data files from
/mnt/ad-drive/u...@bioch.ox.ac.uk.  As far as exporting data from their
Galaxy account to the shared drive, I've come across a couple tools in the
Galaxy ToolShed that do exactly that.

Alternatively, I don't know if your server is sitting in front of a
cluster, but you could always go down the route of running jobs as the
actual system user, assuming a system configuration where system users are
AD users. See:
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Performance/Cluster

Hope some of that is helpful.

--
Andrew Stewart
Office of Research Information Services (ORIS),